Sunday, July 9, 2017

July 9, 2017

Dear Friends,

I am very happy to be joining the family of faith here at St. George!  I am also very thankful to Fr. Salvador for all the effort he has put into the transition of a new pastor.  Please join me in thanking God for the gift of Fr. Salvador to our parish and offering continued prayers on his behalf. I am very happy that he will continue to be a part of the parish and assist with masses from time to time.

I am very humbled to be your pastor.  I am comforted by the Lord’s words to Jeremiah when he was asked by the Lord to be a prophet:

“Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I dedicated you, a prophet to the nations I appointed you…To whomever I send you, you shall go; whatever I command you, you shall speak.” (Jeremiah 1:5, 7bc)

As I understand it, my responsibility as pastor is to help implement and continue the priorities established by Pope Francis, Bishop da Cunha and the Church.  These priorities are:
1.     The Worship and praise of God. This includes the Sunday and daily homilies, ensuring access to the Sacraments and Reverent and meaningful liturgies.
2.     Faith Formation. Not only the catechetical instruction for our children and youth, but also continuing faith formation and catechesis for adults, outreach to fallen away and alienated Catholics and utilizing social media and other technologies to share the faith and Gospel.
3.     Pastoral Care. Engage in works of social justice, support of families, married couples, parents; outreach to the sick; outreach to the poor, neglected, and immigrant; providing opportunities for the laity to exercise their gifts and abilities in ministries and works of the apostolate.

Finally, I have served as Chaplain at UMass Dartmouth since 2011 and also serve as the Diocesan Director for Campus Ministry for the Diocese. This provides some new opportunities for our Catholic college students to become involved in the life of a parish. In addition it does provide some opportunities for the parish as well.

I ask your patience as I start at St. George. It will take me a long time to connect names to faces. It will also take me a while to figure out the parish routines and rhythms and the communities of Westport and Dartmouth. In the meantime, here is all of my contact info:

Facebook.com/fatherdavidf
Twitter: @fatherdavid
Instagram: fr.david.frederici

Peace,
Fr. David




No comments:

Post a Comment